Pages Navigation Menu

Food allergy education, advocacy, and support

Stock Epi Pays Off in Nevada

Share

After being approved by the House of Representatives in July 2013, the “School Access to Emergency Epinephrine Act” was passed by the US Senate in late October and was later signed into law by President Barak Obama on November 13, 2013.  It was called the federal “stock epi” bill as it came into effect this year, 2014.

The federal bill hoped to encourage states to create their own “stock epi” laws through grant funding for those that take the plunge (or plunger if you like ‘sticking’ to needle humor…yuck yuck).  According to allergicliving.com, nearly 30 states passed stock epinephrine laws.  The federal bill only provides federal grant funds to states that “require” schools to stock epinephrine versus simply giving permission.

THE BAD NEWS?
Only four states have passed “required” stock epinephrine laws.
THE GOOD NEWS?
Virginia is one of them along with Maryland, Nebraska, Nevada

According to a news bulletin from the Washoe County School District in Nevada, this legislation has already paid off for two students.  An 8th grader with no prior food allergic history developed a rash along with troubles breathing and swallowing after eating various foods in cooking class on Feb 12, 2014.  The school nurse, Robin Reinders, aided the facility’s code response team by administering the EpiPen, a brand of stock epinephrine.  Just 2 days later in the same county, school staff members had to give stock epi to a 9th grader that showed signs of anaphylaxis during lunch.

Eventhough the symptoms were sudden and potentially lethal, both students are back in school feeling fine.  Nurse Reinders said “I’m just glad we had the medication right there or things could have turned out differently.”

DID YOU KNOW?
President Obama had an extra incentive in signing this piece of legislation.  In addition to the efforts of countless Food allergy advocates, the President’s eldest daughter, Malia, has a peanut allergy.

 

Check out:  allergicliving.com article  |  KTVN news outlet story